Who is racist? Who plays racism?

This article is a reply to the article published by Basab Dasgupta in The Statesman dated 03.06.2020 named "Will 'racism' ever end in the USA?"


When I first read the article "Will 'racism' ever end in the USA?" by Basab Dasgupta, I got a little bit disoriented by the contents of the article which went upstream against my usual notions that I have been holding since I was teenager. So I went through the article twice consecutively to digest what I was seeing. I have been trying to assimilate my thoughts since then and I am unable to resist my views on this article with respect to the burning issue of George Floy'ds death. I want to highlight certain parts of the aforementioned article by Mr. Dasgupta.

(a) In the second paragraph he wrote "..if this continuing feeling of racism against the white people is ever going to end." I want Mr. Dasgupta to clarify this point. Does he really think the blacks are being racists against the white? His view is just the opposite of what realists and historians of this world know or think of. Racism is a view which is held by someone who thinks himself superior to someone else of different race. If blacks are being racists this means that they think that their race is superior to others' race. Then why were the blacks oppressed 150 years ago, that Mr. Dasgupta pointed in a separate paragraph by stating, "slavery was abolished more than 150 years ago". These two views (i) blacks getting racist and (ii) blacks being slaves as mentioned by Mr. Dasgupta are two contrasting views. If blacks are being racists then why were they slaves? Please clarify Mr. Dasgupta!

(b) Mr. Dasgupta also mentioned, "slave trade blossomed out of necessity, especially as the demand of cotton...and there was a lack of non-black labourers..". Mr. Dasgupta do you know why there was a dearth of non-black labourers? Let me tell you. There was a lack of non-black labourers out of fear. These African slaves were supposed to work in marsh lands which were prone to mosquito breeding. Those African people genetically were immunized against deadly Mosquito borne diseases like malaria and falciparum. That was why they were brought to America for doing these hard labour jobs. In this regard, I am referring to a book named "The Mosquito, a human history of our deadliest predator" by Timothy C Winegard. Please read this Mr. Dasgupta. It has been written by a white.

(c) Mr. Dasgupta is also blaming black folks in Africa as equal partners in crime along with the whites. Do you think it is feasible for a country to enter into another country and forcibly trade the indigenous people without taking help from locals? In those days the vast continent of Africa was mostly unknown. So these  white people took the help from a few priviledged local blacks in this slave trade.

(d) Mr. Dasgupta is in a kind of delusion that there was no torturing or killing of blacks. This reminds me of a movie named 'Denial', which was ofcourse a true story, where the antagonist was in the delusion that there was never a holocaust. Didn't you watch '12 years a slave'? Or haven't you read "Uncle Tom's Cabin"? I refer this movie and the book to you Mr. Dasgupta!

(e) Mr. Dasgupta says in a paragraph, "the life that blacks enjoy in the USA is certainly better than living in a country like Nigeria". Have you heard of Sierra Leone Mr. Dasgupta? Have you read about blood diamonds? Who was benefited by the civil war of Sierra Leone? These white folks Mr. Dasgupta. Please watch the movie named "Blood Diamond" starring Leonardo Dicaprio.

(f) Mr. Dasgupta says, "whites would not flee from blacks if the blacks behave more like whites.." What do you mean by behaving like whites? Do you mean to say that whites are gentlemen and blacks are not? If this is so according to your version Mr. Kanye West and Ms. Candace Owens are not gentlemen/women. I did not get you Mr. dasgupta. Please clarify!

Jayashree Dutta in her letter to the editor, "Embarrasing and Bigoted" raised question about why this low esteemed article by Dasgupta was published in the Statesman. Through my article I want to reply to that question. Madam, by reading this article of Mr. Dasgupta you and me have come to know of the fact that people like Dasgupta who are holding such racist views about blacks by being a black himself exist in the world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INFINITY